Welcome
This blog has been set up to keep people informed of Dad's progress. One of the various Gibbs' will attempt to update this site on a daily basis so those who care will know how the old boy is doing. He may even make a guest appearance or two - once he understands what a blog is!
This week has seen a flurry of activity at Chez Gibbs. Paul and I flew in on Friday to spend a week with Dad. I was full of trepidation getting off the plane but thankfully Dad was at the airport looking much the same as I remembered him and sporting a big grin. Ash got in at 2am that night for the weekend. We are all astounded by the number of friends who have called visited and dropped off goodies. Dad's averaging about 5 visitors a day, which he is loving! I have never drunk so much tea in my life!
Yesterday, Dad agreed to go and see a Professor who is an expert in Melanoma management. The Professor was shocked at how fast Dad's cancer had spread - given that he got the all clear in March. The sad news is that he has a number of lesions on his liver and lungs and the cancer is too advanced for surgery. The good news is that the initial 4 to 8 weeks prognosis is now more like 3 to 6 months. This may be extended if chemotherapy is used. Whilst Dad was against this procedure, the type of chemo used is designed so that he won't have too many drastic side effects - no hair loss, weight loss - perhaps a bit of nausea. This treatment has shown good results in 20% of those who have tried it. Not a grand number, but thankfully Dad agreed to try it and had his first dose yesterday. No side effects so far, in fact he is his usual rambunctious self.
He has asked that I post his travel diary on this site - talk about War and Peace but between all of us - we'll add a bit here and there for those who get a thrill out of Geoffrey's global jaunts.
Please feel free to post a comment to this site or come back as often as you like.
This week has seen a flurry of activity at Chez Gibbs. Paul and I flew in on Friday to spend a week with Dad. I was full of trepidation getting off the plane but thankfully Dad was at the airport looking much the same as I remembered him and sporting a big grin. Ash got in at 2am that night for the weekend. We are all astounded by the number of friends who have called visited and dropped off goodies. Dad's averaging about 5 visitors a day, which he is loving! I have never drunk so much tea in my life!
Yesterday, Dad agreed to go and see a Professor who is an expert in Melanoma management. The Professor was shocked at how fast Dad's cancer had spread - given that he got the all clear in March. The sad news is that he has a number of lesions on his liver and lungs and the cancer is too advanced for surgery. The good news is that the initial 4 to 8 weeks prognosis is now more like 3 to 6 months. This may be extended if chemotherapy is used. Whilst Dad was against this procedure, the type of chemo used is designed so that he won't have too many drastic side effects - no hair loss, weight loss - perhaps a bit of nausea. This treatment has shown good results in 20% of those who have tried it. Not a grand number, but thankfully Dad agreed to try it and had his first dose yesterday. No side effects so far, in fact he is his usual rambunctious self.
He has asked that I post his travel diary on this site - talk about War and Peace but between all of us - we'll add a bit here and there for those who get a thrill out of Geoffrey's global jaunts.
Please feel free to post a comment to this site or come back as often as you like.

9 Comments:
Hi Geoff, I am so glad to hear that you are going to fight this, good luck with the Chemo. Amelia and Georgia send their love to you and want you to know they have their school (Mecedes College) including you in their prayers. you are in our thought always and we will catch up again soon.
cheers Leisa, Duncan, Amelia and Georgia Ord
This is an excellent idea you little Gibbs's; now Geoff and Carole need only check up one site for all the mad comments and interesting links which will be posted ... I'll be back!
ttfn helen mary
This is a fantastic idea Paige, and I'm sure your Dad will soon get the hang of it and we'll keep checking to see if he has made an appearance.
Please give him and your Mum a big hug from us both.
Lots of Love, Chris & Robyn xxxx
Blog right on to the end of the road
May it be long, straight and kind
nigel and jill
Geoff, got here safe and well. Just perusing the website, it is better than the company I work for. Was great to see you in Perth, that little hat was very dapper and Carole looked hot too. Take care guys, I am thinking of youse, all of youseseseses.
love jeb
Dearest Geoff and Carole-
As always, you are in Barry's thoughts buttttt he's late in responding to your devastating news! Words cannot express our shock and sorrow to your medical prognosis... You are most definitely in our thoughts and prayers as well as those closest to us (we forwarded your e-mail onto them). This blog is a great idea- were it not for e-mails I would never had had such a good time with all of you in NYC in May! Loved ones and memories are really ALL that matters in the grand scheme of LIFE! Patty Levy (not Amy....lol lol lol)
Wonderful site!
I have been reading it every day since I got your e-mail tell us about it. It isn’t like sharing a bottle of wine with you all in Margaret River, but for now it will do.
In addition to our thoughts and prayers here in central Ohio we are also toasting your good health Geoff. I now you would expect no less.
Hugs and Kisses to you all.
Best,
George
Hi Geoff, thoughts are with you at this time. Love and prayers to you and Carole...freddos will always be at the WAAPA bar for you...strawberry??? oh what the heck any chocolate will do! see you soon Val (FOH)
What are we meant to say -you're still a rogue, you could have done this with more gentility, not shocked us all like this. Guy and Margaret will forgive you just about anything - go for it - you'll pull through
Post a Comment
<< Home