Three days and counting
As this blog reaches it natural conclusion I'd like to thanks all those 100s of people who have contribted to it or sent cards, good thoughts and prayers our way. We have been dumbfounded by the sheer volume of kindness pouring out of our letterboxes and computers. Downstairs continues to look like a florist and mum has literally weeks of frozen goods in the fridge.
The past two days have been spent planning Dad's funeral. I have wrestled with the program for days - finally having a breakthrough at 6pm today. Nathan spent the day in an edit suite transfering videos onto DVDs to show at Dad's wake. Dad didn't like to talk of death, so we had no idea what he wanted for his funeral - but we are doing the best we can and I think he will be proud. Tomorrow, Nath and I must tackel the eulogy! The Dean of St Mary's Catherdal will be officiating. I talked to him today to ask about what readings were appropirate. He said (and I quote) "Geoff will have what I tell him to and he know that!" Ah, we couldn't have picked a better man!
I have promised the many people who can't get here Thursday to update this site with the synopsis of the day - no need to update Geoffy as I think he'll witness the goings on first hand from on high.

4 Comments:
Dear Carol and all the Gibbs Clan,
All my love to all of you and the irrepressable impressario Geoff.
I am so sorry to hear that Geoff has gone. This blog is a wonderful testament to all whom he has touched.
I have just passed through Perth on my way to running workshops in regional WA & NT and I popped out to WAAPA for the first time this century. I was astonished to to see how 'the house that Geoff built' had grown. Extraordinary.
In my last year at the Academy I was the student rep on the board and thus got to see at first hand how hard Geoff worked in ensuring that the Academy was the best place it could be. He really cared for the Academy and the people who were fortunate enough to call it home - staff as well as students. It is in no small part his personal passion that has permeated the theatre of Australia in the form of the 100's [is it 1000's?] of zealous WAAPA grads - from acting, musical theatre, dance, opera [everything!] who have gone on to shape and make performance in this country - building a national cultural heritage that owes a huge debt of gratitude to Geoff Gibbs & his unforgettable laughing spirit.
Thank you Geoff.
I will wear a rose for you.
Christopher Tomkinson
Dear Carol, Paige, Ashleigh and Nathan,
I've been thinking of Geoff for days now and trying to sum up all that he meant to me.
His guidance and loyalty at WAAPA were invaluable, while his sense of humour and impeccable timing were always an inspiration!
I was so moved by the honesty and integrity of his very memorable performance in Long Day's Journey into Night, that I can still see whole scenes vividly in my mind's eye.
Perhaps it's appropriate that I'm about to open in a new Australian play - because it was Geoff's passion and love of our theatre history that made his Australian Repertoire classes at WAAPA far and away the most popular. Friday afternoons were always such a hoot!
It was an honour and a pleasure to know him.
Sending you all much love at this time - the Remarkable Gibbs Family!
Much love
Roz Hammond
The Gibbs Household
When I was collecting stamps Geoff was there for me, when I wanted to visit Perth he made time for me, when I went to Uni he was there for me,when I was a poor student he fed me, when I dropped out of Uni he was there for me, when I went back to Uni he was there for me, when I wanted to make the Army a career he was there for me, when I wanted no further part with the Army he was there for me.
It brings me such a monumental amount of sadness and aching to tell you, that on such an important day, I will not be able to be there to farewell Geoff.
Its so difficult to realise there will be no more bear hugs, no more cheeky jokes and no more imparting of wisdom. Geoff will, however, forever remain my East Perth Oracle.
Missing Geoff already, much love to family and friends
Jabesh
Condolences to the Gibbs Family and all of their friends .... I did a web search and came across this website/link that I just wanted to share with everyone....
http://www.theatre.asn.au/billboard_bulletins/a_sad_day_for_theatre_in_australia
Barry's wife- CincinnatiPatty
Post a Comment
<< Home