Geoffrey George Gibbs 25/11/1940 - 17/08/2006
At 10:05am this morning our darling father and loving husband passed away. He was surrounded by his entire family - including the youngest Gibbs, Ginger. It was a peaceful, silent passing. The only sound was Ginger's gurgles that we took as a sign of Dad transfering his energy to his beloved granddaughter. We remembered to open a door just before he passed so his spirit could soar. We are fairing remarkably well as we know Dad is far, far away cracking a bottle of champers with his parents and Auntie Wen and getting ready for the biggest funeral and wake this town has ever seen!

42 Comments:
I was in a meeting when your blog was being posted and I felt the moment and I knew that Geoff had made his final journey to God, during which we know he would have been lifted up and carried in His arms when his wings could no longer sustain him. We know that God would welcome him and nourish his spirit.
Thank you from our whole family for taking such wonderful care of him and making his last weeks on earth so very very special and precious.
You are a truly amazing family and through your loving, have earned the love and respect of all who know and love Geoff so much.
Our condolences to each of you and best wishes to give you strength during your period of sadness and readjustment.
With much love, through tears and heartache.....
Lynne, Helen, Louise and Bruce Woolfenden Warm kisses and hugs.xxxx
For those not in Perth, it’s a beautiful spring-like day. A gentle breeze is allowing the Swan River to glisten in the sunlight and there’s a glorious almost cloudless blue sky welcoming Geoff to soar.
Dear Ash, Nath and family.
I was so saddened to read about Geoff's passing today. Though I did not have the pleasure in meeting Geoff, I felt I knew him just by the many loving stories Ash had told me and by reading the truly memorable stories recounted on this site by his many friends from all over the world.
As Jimmy Stewart once said " You are never alone if you have friends"
Ash, you have an amazing and inspirational family and Geoff will be very proud of you all.
With much love
Lewis Khan
Dear Gibbs family,
I offer my deepest sympathies. It goes without saying what a great friend Geoff was to my parents, and how much he meant to them. But I think my best memories of Geoff will be of how good a friend he was to us kids, Jacob and myself.
So many times he was available to offer his assistance to me. He helped me with such a wide range of things, from school and uni assignments through to proper use of the english language. He always had time for us and had a genuine interest in what we were doing, and would always be available to offer advice.
Those are just a few of the reasons why I'll always remember Geoff as a good friend and an amazing human being.
Regards,
Blake Kagi
Be assured that I will be (amongst many) spending the rest of my life trying to pass on some of the very fine things this generous soul stood for.
From afar, my head is high, my heart heavy and my thoughts remain with you all. LOL, JC
He has gone to God ... there is simply no other place he could go! I know I am not alone when I say he shall be missed.
Helen R
To dear Carole and all the Gibbs family, my heart goes out to you and to my dear dear friend Geoff.
Everything we did together was always a joy and often an inspiration. I will continue to cherish those times and will wear Geoff's gorgeous ties with the greatest fondness and affection. My love to you all. I love you Geoff.
from Reuben.
To the Wonderful Gibbs Family. My thoughts and love are with you at this time. Geoffrey was an amazing leader and a 'Dad' to many. He was a wonderful contributor to all who he met. He supported and noursished dreams that did come true. He believed in and created many wonderful friendships and careers. He was 'cast' brilliantly as the 'Walt Disney' of Perth. I hope that he will be in heaven with Maura and they'll be sharing a bottle of Cape Mentelle together. We will miss those mighty people forever and will hold them in our heart forever more. I am truly sad and my love and support is with you. Love Always Ann Fay xxx
Dearest Gibbs family
Geoff may no longer be physically with us, but his spirit is well and truly alive and thriving through so many lives that he touched and influenced. His hearty laugh, his insatiable appetite for life, his passion for all of you and his love and care for everyone he came in contact with will always be with all of us in our hearts. Our love and our thoughts are with all of you. Much love - David, Sharon, Ben, Lia and Rob Goldie xxxxx
Dearest Gibbs Family,
We share your great loss and celebrate the wonderful naughty spirit of Geoffrey George. He'll already be making friends and organising an outing and eating all the chocolates he wants.
Thank you so much Ashleigh and Paige for keeping us with you all over the past week or so. It has been incredibly moving. What a wonderful thing yu did to have him at home with you all.
It has been a very sad week for us with the loss of two of our great friends, Geoff and Alex. In the company of Len Evans we can only guess at the quality quaffing that will be going on.
Loving thoughts to all,
J, A& A
Derek and I will always remember Geoff for his outrageous generosity, enormous warmth and passion. BIG WARM adjectives are what come to mind when we think about Geoff. Our deepest appreciation for the welcome he gave us both when we moved to Perth in 1994/5 - he even gave derek a job! His passionate commitment to WAAPA and to his students, and the theatre. He made us laugh and sometimes he made us mad, but it was so great with Geoff that you could disagree and go on to argue and talk about more stuff because he had such a big spirit. Some people have more life in their little finger than other people have in their whole bodies, and Geoff was one of those. To Carole and the family, we send our deepest sympathies for your profound loss. Our thoughts are with you. Sarah & Derek
Frances and I share the sorrow felt by all of those whose lives have been enriched by Geoff and whose hearts have been warmed by his friendship.
We are all the poorer for his passing but we will continue to hold dear the memory of someone who embraced life with such gusto and who achieved more in a single year than most of us could in a lifetime.
Geoff, we are sorry that you had to leave the party early but know that somewhere you will continue to be the life and soul of a greater party.
Our thoughts are with Carole, Paige, Ashleigh and Nathan at this time and we hope that their faith and the love of all their friends will sustain them in the coming days.
With much love from Bill and Frances Simms
I've said it before and have to say it again, the Gibbs family is remarkable. Darling Geoff's passing is already being celebrated as a wonderful life, and as Geoff always does, he left it at the right moment - no nonsense and straight up as the door opened.
Lots and lots of love Guy and margaret
My family will always remember Geoff as a truly remarkable man. He certainly left an impression on all those associated with him and the impact he has had on us won’t be forgotten. His amazing character, and his odd postcards, will be sorely missed.
With much love,
Sophie Bond
We met Geoff on his return from the US postgrad programme at the Schweng's house, and we shall remember him as a larger than life personality, with an enormous presence wherever he went. Initially we felt a little intimidated by his forthright manner, particularly after just meeting him for the first time: he sampled the red wine Bob had contributed to the dinner party table in Millendon and in typical Geoff fashion declared it, with a twinkle in his eye, totally undrinkable and asked who on earth could have brought it!!! So much for making a good impression on each other. Since then we have had the pleasure and privilege of Geoff and Carole's company from time to time particularly at various Schwenger functions! In recent years Geoff has been reluctantly gracing Bob's dental chair in a rather dictatorial manner: telling the staff they are not paid enough to put up with Bob or his taste in music, and loudly declaring to a full waiting room that he requires a pensioner's discount!Yet on a serious note, during our infrequent meetings he was perceptive enough to note our interests and he would always take the time to recommend and lend books and music, specifically in his area of great passion- the arts! Geoff we remember you fondly with love and affection and know that you are in everlasting peace.
Bob and Julie Hotinski
Dear Gibbs Family,
Thank you for sharing your strength with us through this difficult time. Geoff crammed several lifetimes of experience into one. He made sure we all were apart of it. You all have shown the same determination and kindness. Our thoughts and prayers.
George and Peg
To Carole and the Gibb Family
It is so sad that we have all lost the company of such a wonderful person.
We knew Geoff (and Carole) as neighbours. The little chats we had
as Geoff went for his daily walks with his dog will always be remembered.
Our thoughts are with Carole, the family and for all us left without Geoff.
Russel and Penny Thomas
On Saturday night, we created a final night of great drama in Perth, unaware of the urgency of Geoff's personal crisis. Geoff's journey has long been in the mind of the leading players of "The Doll". Our critical triumph pays its own small tribute to the passing of this influential man, who had been significant in all our lives at different times. Geoff was a touchstone and a great presence.
I was sure I'd see him in mid September... out, out, brief candle... and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Walk on.
Dan Luxton
The Triple G
Some say no pain, no gain. They were right. The pain of losing Geoff is a directly proportional (that’s the scientist in me) to the love he gave. But so much better to know that love than to feel nothing because we never knew him. Geoff was the love generator. His physical presence may be gone, but his love lives on.
Mike
To Carole and her wonderful family .. we were deeply saddened to hear of the passing of our great mate Geoffrey. His influence and energy will live with all of us who knew him. What an honour it was to have him play a part in our lives. He must have felt very secure in the knowledge that the strength of his family were so close to him to the end. Thinking of you brave people at such a sad time ... Chris, Liz, Sarah & Julia Greenwood. ESPRANCE
Dear Paige, Carol, Nathan & Ashleigh
I was truly saddened to hear of Geoff's passing and offer my heartfelt sympathy to you all as I know how much he meant to the family.
I'll remember Geoff's warmth & sense of humour, lunches on the verandah in Highgate, Bunty, cooking, generosity of spirit and how he welcomed me so openly.
Paige, a terrible loss. Hoping you find calm and good memories.
With Love
Michael Jones
As dog and I came over the rise onto Banks Reserve this morning the sight brought a tear to my eyes. There was the 6a.m. Dog Club and their not-so-energetic owners with arms folded trying to keep warm. Everyone had come back as if to honour the Master of Ceromonies because that is what Geoff was to the group. We will all miss him and the marvellous house guests he would drag down with him at the crack of dawn. And from all those badly behaved dogs Buddy, Bruno, Reg, Nelson, Wilson, Raj and Emma, thank you for bringing us together again Ashleigh.
I was very sad to hear that Geoff has passed away - we shared many wonderful times together that were some of the very significant moments in my life. I have followed Geoff's journey carefully through the web page, and have found that it has helped considerably to come to terms with the end of a wonderful era, a wonderful person. Please accept my deepest sympathies to all of you.
Austin
My sister just said to me:
"The best way to honour is to rejoice!"
She is so right - I'm off to buy a happy outfit to wear to the wake.
Abbe
It is no cliche to say Geoff was a great man - a great partner to Carole, great family man, a great achiever and always great fun to be in the company of. It was my great pleasure and honour to have known him.
Thinking of you Carole at this sad time.
Dean Schulze
Dear Carole, Nathan and family,
My love and thoughts are with you. Ash and Paige, thank you for sharing such a personal journey. Your family’s incredible courage and your selfless generosity support the truism, “an apple doesn’t fall from the tree.” Geoff must be so proud.
As we all know, Geoff was event unto himself, and impossible to ignore. He was also a loving and dedicated husband and father, a loyal friend and a magnificent dream weaver. Having worked with Geoff in the early days of WAAPA, I watched in awe as he took a fledging initiative and turned it into a brilliant star that is admired internationally. But what will personally stay with me forever, was his ability to make you feel like you were the most special person in the room. Whenever I was in Geoff’s company, I felt brighter, funnier and more successful! Geoff was the ultimate ego boost and I - like everyone who knew him - will dearly miss his encouragement, his generous spirit and his joie de vie!
With love and my deepest sympathy,
Cheryl Conway
To Carole and family our heartfelt sympathy at the loss of Geoff. He was a great mate and supporter of ours both personally and professionally. As much fun in the boardroom at Lotteries as in Hay Street, Kalgoorlie!
Shelley Robbo will be opening the bar!
Viv and Gordon Poulton
Dear Carol, Nathan, Paige, Ash and Families
Our deepest sympathies go out to you all. What a man, what a life!!!
It is tempting to say that the world stands diminished with Geoff's passing, but I know thats not what he would want me to say. His warmth, love, passion, generosity and loyalty have meant so much to me and to so many others. We are all enriched by just knowing him. If I can live up to half of what I learnt from him I will be a happy man. But boy i will miss his bear-hug!
Carol you are a remarkable woman and our thoughts and love are with you.
Through many tears, our love to you all.
Lotsalove(sic)
Tom, Shani, Millicent and Matilda Weaver
A partner to Carol, a dad to Paige,Ash,and Nathan, Grandad to Ginger and Otto and a brother to me.A Bloody ledgend in life and an inspiration in death.I will miss you.M.G.
Carol & Family,
We cherish the day we were invited for coffee after Sunday Mass this was the start of a wonderful friendship. We treasure the time we had in Bali wonderfull memories. God give you all strength during this sad time.
Love Ken & Ann
Carole,Paige, Nathan and family, I was so deeply saddened to hear about Geoffs passing. A remarkable man who seems to have impacted on many lives.As a student, there were many stories and memories that brought a sure smile to my face. He was always there for his students and was well respected, in turn, by them. My thoughts are with you all in this difficult time.
Travel in Peace Geoff!!!
Fiona Mahl xxxx
Dear Carole, Paige, Nathe and Ash,
following are emails from my dear friend Barb Kiefer at OSU and Carolyn who worked in the office at OSU when Geoff and I were there. Thought you might like to see them.
Keep us dancing, Geoffrey, keep us dancing!!
Love
Peter
Attached
Hi Peter-- thought you'd want to see this and pass it on to Geoff's
family. I remember Geoff as full of life too and I'm so thankful i had
a chance to take his class- and also thankful that he brought you to
OSU!
Barb
Begin forwarded message:
>
> Barbara:
> Thank you so much for letting me know about Geoff. I will have
> Geoff's family in my prayers. He was a wonderful person full of life.
> I will never forget him or Peter. They were such special people in
> my life.
> I will be having dinner with Char on Friday, and I will let her know
> too.
> Please send my best to Peter and thanks again for letting me know
> about Geoff.
> Fondly,
> Carolyn
To Carole and the Gibbs family
Our thoughts are with you at this time. Geoff was a remarkable man who led a led a life that many of us aspire to, but few of us achieve. I will forever be grateful for the chance meeting we had at 10.30pm one night in the Qantas lounge in Perth and the friendship that followed.
All our love, Stephen, Robyn and William
Dear Carole, Paige, Ashleigh, Nathan, Tash, Otto and Ginger.
It is shocking news to hear that Geoff has passed away. I am really sorry for you all. Geoff was such a good friend to Mum and Dad and has been very helpful and supportive to both myself and Penelope over the years. It was great to see him so much since my return to Perth. I'm glad I saw Long Day's Journey into Night, I couldn't resist after his classic recommendation of "it makes the Radunovich family look like a walk in the park," and thankfully he was right! I know you will miss him so much because there wasn't anyone like him. Lots of love to you all from Antigone Radunovich.
Carole and the kids
Am so glad I met up with dad before I went to Japan.
Being this far away makes this passing a little more difficult as I am unable to celebrate with everyone the life Geoff enjoyed and the positive influence he had on people.
To say Geoff was; charismatic, knowledgeable, intelliegent, humorous, brilliant, and a good BBQ chef does not do him justice. I really need to multiply those words by 1,000,000.
Like everyone else, I am glad that Geoff was a part of my life. I am going to miss him terribly.
Have been thinking about you guys all day, catch up very soon
Much love Jabesh and Maree.
Dearest Carole, Paige, Ashleigh , Nathan & Co,
RB & I have been sitting by the computer going through all the comments of Geoff's Little Gems again. The rain is pouring down outside by our study window, as we listen to this song:
Holes in the Floor of Heaven by Billy Kirsch & Steve Wariner. I hope they don't mind us sharing the words for you:
One day shy of eight years old; when grandma passed away, I was a brokenhearted little boy; blowing out that birthday cake. How I cried when the sky let go; with a cold and lonesome rain. Mamma smiled, said 'Don't be sad, child. Grandma's watching you today.'
'Cause there's holes in the floor of heaven; and her tears are pouring down. That's how you know she's watching, wishing she could be here now. And somtimes if you're lonely; just remember she can see; There's holes in the floor of heaven and she's watching over you and me.
Seasons come and seasons go; nothing stays the same. I grew up, fell in love, met a girl who took my name. Year by year we made a life in this sleepy little town. I thought we'd grow old together. Lord, I sure do miss her now.
But there's holes in the floor of heaven and her tears are pouring down. That's how I know she's watching,wishing she could be here now. And sometimes when I'm lonely; I remember she can see. There's holes in the floor of heaven and she's watching over you and me.
Well, my little girl is twenty-three, I walk her down the aisle. It's a shame her mom can't be here now; to see her lovely smile. They throw the rice, I catch her eye as the rain starts coming down. She takes my hand, says 'Daddy don't be sad 'cause I know Mamma's watching now.'
And there's holes in the floor of heaven, and her tears are pouring down. That's how you know she's watching, wishing she could be here now. And somtimes when you're lonely; just remember she can see. There's holes in the floor of heaven and she's watching over you and me.
Geoff will be sadly missed, but fondly remembered. Our thoughts are with you all.
With love & prayers,
TB, RB, CB & MB xoxoxox
It is raining outside as I sit in my office reading the warm and wonderful comments from folk whose lives have been touched - and are still being touched - by Geoffrey. And I have discovered something new - I can cry from the depths of my heart and nearly break my ribs with great outbursts of laughter both at the same time!!
Love to the Gibbs family.
Dear Carole and family,
A fellow WAAPA student Mandy Bishop sent me an email to let me know of Geoff's passing. It's Saturday morning in London and I've been reading non-stop for an hour. I've been crying and laughing, so moved by all that has been written. I wanted you to know that I have been left with such a desire to live life to the fullest, to love without boundaries, to dream BIG and to laugh...ALOT!!! This is the Gibbs' family contribution to my life. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! Chelsea Plumley x
To Carole and the Gibbs family
I have been following the blog closely and was devasted to hear the news last Friday.
I was luckly enough to have been introduced to the Gibbes family through the chance meeting that my brother had with Geoff in the Qantas lounge several years ago.
I have treasured our friendship and I was one of the lucky recipients of the mystery "post cards" sent from various parts of the world. Geoff was a remarkable man and this is reflected by the large number of friends that he had and how much he crammed into his life.
I shall miss his cheeky sense of humour....
Our thoughts love and prayers are with the Gibbes family.
Love, Al, Lisa, Aidan and Julian McClymont
Dear Carole,Paige,Ashleigh and Nathan, It is true that God leans down from Heaven and gathers into his arms those who are to make that journey.Geoff would have been smiling and talking to him the whole way!Safe and confident and maybe organising a few things.
My memories are those of Hammond Rd Claremont.---a long time ago, but it feels like yesterday!
The Gibbs kids were "little".Truly Scrumptious the cat and Garcon---sorry about the missing accent below the "c"!the dog. and their parents,--- wonderful friends and neighbours Geoff and Carole who shared their lives and many friends with us.---"the Yews."and our cats Blackie and Tabby.
Dancing in our loungeroom,after much to eat and too much to drink! and babysitting the lounge suite when you went off to the U.S.to become Doctor GG Gibbs. ,Chinese Newyear celebrations,banana cake on Sunday mornings,visits to The Playhouse The list goes on!
We love you Geoff and know that you watch over those you love,and the perfume of roses was your message that you had arrived and all was well.
Shirley
Dear Carole and family,
How are you?
We are saddened to learn that Geoff had passed away.
It is very hard to accept that he was taken away so young.
We shall remember Geoff, a wonderful man full of life.
“Don’t cry for me, Argentina” Geoff’s favorite, as he would played it over and over again, about 30 years ago
Paul Yew
Hammond Road, Claremont.
With all our love to the Gibbs family. There were some very special moments when we lived at Riverton in Perth and then again when we visited Geoff, Carol and the children whilst in Ohio. Your are all in our thoughts and prayers, Kaye, Victor, Caitrin and Verity Dunn.
Post a Comment
<< Home