Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Latest news

In the interest of keeping everyone informed of Dad's progress and because he would want us to be as honest as possible, I wanted to document what's been happening over the past week. As some of his friends may know, Dad has been having some trouble with his balance and motor skills- this is why the blogs have slowed down a bit - he is having a bit of trouble typing.
Monday, he went in for chemo and our worst fears were confirmed. The chemo doesn't seem to be working and the cancer has moved to his brain - resulting in a tumor. He has been admitted into hospital and will undergo radiation therapy to ease the pressure on the brain and hopefully give him back some mobility. They also intend to give the lungs some therapy too. He will be at Charles Gardiner for at least a week. At this stage, we are asking if you could give him some space as he needs some rest and treatment.
This is obviously an incredible change for people to accept - considering he was tapping away at these very keys just over a week ago but in his own words - cancer is a harsh mistress. The good news is that he's in no pain and we still get glimpses of the old Geoffy - especially when he is being nagged by Mum or commenting on the disgraceful muck passing for food at the hospital.
As Dad has been name dropping outrageously on this blog, I should continue the tradition. His friend Kenneth Murton in Canada is in regular correspondence and has his entire yoga group downward dogging and sending healing Dad's way. Michael, Linda and baby Hannah Goldschlager sent a lovely email pressing Dad to battle on. Lynne Woolfenden also sent a great email that I will now quote "Keep singing and flying Icarus and don't let the sun melt those lovely wings of yours." Hugh and Deb also sent an email expressing their love and prayers.
I have made a promise to Dad to keep everyone up to date with what's been going on and I will. Mum is holding up as best she can and we are all hoping and praying for a miracle.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Paige
I dreaded reading the latest news, last Wednesday when I visited we walked thru the park with the dog, Geoff was chatting to the neighbours and looked marvellous. Spoke to Carole on Saturday night and she told me there had been a dramatic change in his health. Will you please give them both a big big hug and tell them I love them both, faith and strength will pull them through once again, I hope you, Paul, Ashley,Nathan and Tasha are OK. My thoughts are with you all.
Love
Valerie

8:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Paige,
Our thoughts are with you as you support your Mum and Dad at this time.We wont pretend to know how you are all feeling but i know that your strong faith will help you through. Geoff was my boss for 20 of the happiest years at WAAPA and i will always be gratefull for his support
regards
susan and allan everson

11:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am stunned at how swiftly the situation has changed. I took Geoff with me on my meditation journey which on reading Paige's blog about the shattered stone now seems so symbolic. The journey took us up a beautiful but high mountain and carried with us three crystal. At each rest point along the journey Geoff and I set down our loads that had most held us back in life and zapped them into the ground with each of our crystals and as we made each gesture each beautiful crystal shattered as it crushed the problems. We each arrived at the top of the purple headed mountain light in our step and greatly changed. We surveyed the magnificent landscape that represented Geoff's beautiful life and were satisfied in its beauty. As we made our journey down neither spoke a word and Geoff was smiling so serenely, calmly and happily. How wonderful each of you are to celebrate Geoff's (always Icarus to me - I will share that story another time) truly fruitful life in the way that you are. I am privileged to witness such love and bonds within a family such as yours.
My love and prayers go out to each of you. Thank so much for providing a wonderful conduit for keeping us all informed without our feeling like we would be intruding. Much love
Lynne Woolfenden

8:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home