Friday, August 18, 2006

Geoff's last performance

Don't want to steal Ash's thunder but she's a bit crook today and people are asking about the funeral. It will be held next Thursday the 24th of August at 9:30am at St Mary's Cathedral followed by a short service at the Karrakatta Crematorium. All you Catholics will be delighted to know that it will be a full mass - the rest of you "Proddies" (as Dad was so fond of calling anyone that wasn't RC) will have to endure. The knees up will be back at our house.
I'll leave Ash to talk of the wonderful sentiments, flowers, food and booze that has been arriving almost hourly since Dad's passing.
I would like to acknowledge our places of work in Sydney - FoxAustralia, Toniq and MooterMedia for being so generous and considerate in placing our feelings above our work commitments. We are so very grateful for your understanding.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearset Carole, and all Gibbs Family,
Just to let you know that Aarne will be there on Thursday (Hope we got the day right!) Sorry we can't all be there to send off darling Geoff but will be there in spirit.
J, A & A XXX

9:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I sit here and prepare for the funeral of my dear Godfather Geoff I thank the Gibbs Family. Paige for creating The Blog a wonderful forum for our thoughts and feelings. It allows us all to have our own little eulogy. Ashleigh for her crystals, aromatherapy, obscure advice and funny recollections. Nathan and Tash for loving each other and Geoff in a way that warms the heart. Otto and Ginger for showing us that life will go on despite our great loss. Paul for loving Paige and keeping our stomachs satiated. And most of all Carole for being so generous as to share her soul mate and allow us time to say goodbye.

As I write this I cannot believe that Geoff has gone, yet the tears running down my face indicate that I do know inside - somewhere. I will never forget your encompassing hugs, your striding gait, and your warm handshake. You showed us a side of life we may never have appreciated - a passion for theatre. Geoff my relationship mentor, my English tutor, my speech examiner, my godfather. Reading these comments from various people I realise that Geoff was shared. He was THAT interested in everyone, and I realise that is how he grew to exert such a force.

Tomorrow I will wear a rose; white like the white dove who visited us in hospital, and edged in pink to symbolise Geoff’s love of his family.

Love you Geoffy.
Love Helen McColl (Carr )


Although I have not had the pleasure or honour to have known Geoff for as long as I would have liked I feel lucky to have known him at all. When Geoffs God daughter Helen and myself discussed the differing roles people close to us would play on our wedding day the only certainty would be the position of MC. We needed someone who knew us both intimately, someone who would create laughter, someone who would capture the passion and enormity of the night for us and lastly someone who would maintain some kind of order throughout the night. Of course Geoff was that special person. I can’t believe that night was only 10 months ago. I will miss those crazy Christmas presents, your uncanny knack to make everyone around you feel cheerful, your bizarre postcards which I am still trying to decipher, your mischievous comments to all and sundry and mostly your selflessness.
Rest assured Geoff the influence you have had on Helen’s life has only just begun. I see it in her everyday and it gets stronger everyday you are not with us.
The last time I saw you the only concern you had was with my new job, all this while Helen was treating you. At the time I had no idea this would be the last time we spoke, never got to say thankyou and goodbye.

Love

Peter McColl

9:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home